KYBELLA ® is the only FDA-approved injectable treatment that destroys fat cells in the treatment area. The most popular area is under the chin to improve your profile.
KYBELLA® (deoxycholic acid) is used for the treatment of submental fullness (double chin). Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body. Bile acids (including deoxycholic acid) are produced in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Bile is released into the small intestine after a meal to metabolize dietary fat.
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is a synthetic form of deoxycholic acid and, in aesthetic medicine, it is used to metabolize unwanted subcutaneous fat. When a KYBELLA®-trained injector injects into the fat beneath the trouble area, KYBELLA® destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness. Because we are born with a fixed number of fat cells and do not make or destroy them naturally, the cells do not regenerate in the area that was injected.
Once the patient reaches their desired aesthetic outcome, further treatment is not necessary as the results are permanent.
PRECARE: Before receiving Kybella, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin.
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin.
- Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area.
- Have had or have trouble swallowing.
- Have bleeding problems.
- You may not be pregnant or nursing.
For optimal results and to decrease the chance of bruising at the injection site, please avoid all blood thinning medications and supplements for 1 week prior to your Kybella® appointment. Avoid taking Aspirin. In addition, very high doses of some Vitamins and supplements can thin your blood and increase the chance of bruising. For comfort, you may take Ibuprofen 30 mins prior to your appointment time. Please notify your provider if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, or any other blood thinners for a medical condition.
During the course of your treatments, notify our staff of any changes to your medical history, health and mental health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
- Do NOT, touch, press, rub, massage, or manipulate the treatment area.
- Ice the treated areas for the next 24 hours. Place the icepack on the area for 20 minutes and remove the ice pack for 20 minutes. Continue this pattern for 24 hours.
- Apply (over the counter) Arnica gel to the treatment area to help decrease the bruising, swelling, and discomfort.
- Take (over the counter) acetaminophen and/or pain reliever if needed to decrease post treatment discomfort.
- Sleep on your back and with your head elevated for the next 3-5 days after treatment.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids after treatment.
AVOID vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for 3-5 days after treatment.
AVOID Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising.
AVOID alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
AVOID cosmetic treatments such as injectables, laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro-dermabrasion to the Kybella treatment area. Ideal Image can assist and advise in coordinating specific treatment timing with other concurrent aesthetic services.
Please report to your provider immediately if you develop an asymmetric smile or facial muscle weakness, skin ulceration in the treatment area, difficulty swallowing, or if any existing symptom worsens.