PDO Threads are absorbable Polydioxanone (PDO) sutures that have been used in surgical procedures for over 30 years. They are frequently used in cardiothoracic, trauma, and gynecological surgeries. PDO is a FDA approved suture material for tissue approximation for the entire body. The suture material is broken down over 4-6 months via hydrolysis and stimulates collagen production in the skin due to the body’s natural healing process. It works like many other aesthetic treatments by creating a “controlled damage zone,” in the affected area.
There are 4 types of PDO threads:
- Smooth threads are used to create structure through a mesh technique. These tend to be 29 gauge (the higher the gauge number the smaller the thread diameter, just like needles) or 31 gauge. We create a sort of “basket weave” effect to give the skin a more structured, tightened, and smooth appearance. This technique combats crepiness and results appear approximately 4-6 weeks post treatment.
- Twist threads are used to produce a more voluminous appearance. These are used in the lips and in deeper lines like the nasolabial folds and marionette lines adjacent to the corners of the mouth. Results appear immediately and get better over time.
- Barbed threads create the most dramatic effect. The sutures have tiny barbs that provide a gripping effect in the tissue. Appropriate planning and placement followed by tensioning of the thread provides a dramatic and immediate lifting effect to the facial skin. Results can last approximately 12 months.
- Infinity Threads, or molded PDO threads are the newest and most innovative products in the non-surgical lift category. The dual-angle cut of the Barb5 is created to be slightly shallower allowing a thicker thread with increased tensile strength, resulting in the use of less threads to achieve optimal results.
PRECARE: We recommend taking a few steps prior to a thread lifting procedure to help with your post treatment care and to minimize potential discomfort and downtime.
Please note, it is your personal responsibility to ensure the suitability for yourself of any medications or natural supplements you choose to take and are not prescribed by us.
- Take over the counter non-drowsy Antihistamine on the morning of the procedure and every day for 5 days following.
- Take high quality Arnica tablets for at least 5 days prior to the procedure and continue for a few days following.
- Stop taking any Aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, e.g. Naproxen.
- Stop taking nutritional supplements such as Vitamin E, fish oils and Omega five days prior to procedure. You can commence these again in a few days post-procedure.
- Make sure you are well-rested, hydrated, and have had a good meal prior to the procedure to maintain your blood sugar level.
POSTCARE: Apply SPF 30+ and avoid direct sunlight & tanning machines in order to prevent post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH).
- Gently wash the treated areas on the same day but do not rub or massage the face for 2 weeks.
- Do not open mouth too wide for 3-4 weeks (avoid dental treatment for 2 weeks if possible)
- A stinging or “pulling” pain or discomfort is normal. Take Tylenol 500 mg 1-2 tablets every 6 hours as directed. Avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medication such as Naproxen or Ibuprofen, because inflammation is necessary to initiate the new collagen formation process. Ibuprofen and similar medications will suppress this process.
AVOID alcohol and anticoagulant medicines (aspirin, unless prescribed for medical indications) for 7 days.
AVOID blood ‘thinning’ vitamins C, A & E for 7 days.
AVOID temperature extremes such as sauna or very cold climate for 10 days.
AVOID physical exercise for 7 days post procedure.
AVOID having Radio Frequency (RF) or any heat producing device (laser, IPL, etc.) treatments of the thread treated areas for at least 10 weeks.