Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
PRP is an innovative, organic procedure that uses the body’s own platelets and their restorative contents. The benefits of PRP arise from the stimulation of collagen synthesis in the skin resulting in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, enhancement of skin texture and tone, tightening of skin and improvement of crepey skin. The restorative capability of PRP is also used to treat male and female hair loss and to improve sexual response.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is autologous, meaning it comes from you and it’s completely natural. PRP is a great option or addition when considering injectables and especially for those individuals who have a lot of allergies. PRP is considered non-allergenic. PRP is derived by having a medical professional draw your blood into a special tube. Your tube is placed in a centrifuge and spun at a rate that is conducive to the particular PRP system (systems and speeds vary). The heavy cells fall to the bottom of the tube and what remains at the top is your very own autologous platelet-rich plasma.
Once your blood is spun down, the beautiful gold colored plasma remains on top until it is separated. This is where the magic is. The platelet tissue mediators known as growth factors and stem cell activators are found in the plasma. PRP is placed specifically in or on the area of concern and the tissue growth factors go to work. By injecting PRP or adding PRP topically to an area of injury the tissue is stimulated, causing mild inflammation that triggers a healing cascade. As a result, new collagen begins to develop. Improvement with skin texture and tone can be observed in as little as 3 weeks, however full results of collagen maturity take 3 months. Results can last up to 18 months in most patients and maintenance treatments every 12 to 18 months are recommended.
PRP is being used for acne, scarring, alopecia (thinning hair), skin rejuvenation, and tightening around the eyes. It is used in conjunction with hyaluronic acid fillers or alone in the cheeks, midface, thinning skin on the neck, jawline, back of hands, chest and almost anywhere there is crepiness (skin laxity) or hollowness (volume loss). PRP is an excellent addition as a post treatment serum when getting an aggressive anti-aging treatment (example: microneedling, Infini, Fraxel, CO2 DOT laser, etc). Not only does it speed up the healing time it potentiates the desired effects of the treatment.
POSTCARE: Please carefully read and follow these instructions after your PRP treatment. There are minimal restrictions after your PRP injections allowing you to return to your daily activities almost immediately.
- DO NOT touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area(s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
- AVOID Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, (all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents), Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver, Essential Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA), for at least 1 week prior to and 2 weeks after your treatment. Remember, our goal is to create inflammation. These listed medications will limit or prevent inflammation, which can diminish your results. If you must take Aspirin for cardiac reasons, you certainly may do so, but this may limit your results.
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last from 2-5 days following your procedure. If you experience any pain or discomfort you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen-containing products as directed.
- We would prefer if you could refrain from applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an anti inflammatory.
- Do not wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment.
- For the first 3 days, use shampoo that is pH balanced. We recommend using:
- Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash
- Tea Tree Shampoo (any brand)
- Do not use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- AVOID saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
- AVOID vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment.
- AVOID alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal well and problems recur earlier and results may take longer.
- AVOID resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®) or hair coloring or straightening for 3 days. Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment.